Friday, November 30, 2007

Haddock and Oil

Three bucket routine with the ash from the stove. Trash to be sieved in one, sieved ash in another and charcoal from the sieve in the third. The little drawing was done with a particularly obliging lump of charcoal from that same sieve, which I hope will last a while. I should have put on a mask for the dust, but I just held my breath and breathed in over my shoulder as there wasn't much to sieve.
The obvious topic for the day is the teddy naming, but that is so far fetched I am pretty sure that it must be just in my imagination, so I won't burden the web with it.
I had not noticed that BBC7 is doing a session of Alistair Cooke repeats at 13.15 each day, so that is my breakfast listening sorted for a few days. I hope they go on longer than a week but perhaps it is just on as some kind of tribute.
Scroll down to the right time here if interested.
He was always a one for starting out with something he had observed and then taking us listeners on a really long walk just to arrive back at the same spot, but with a fresh perspective on how he had got there in the first place.
Sunday morning breakfast when we were kids was accompanied by listening with improper comprehension, but due diligence to the soothing intellect of AC made manifest in that famous wireless voice. I intend no irreverence, but for me he is now forever associated with the menu of Smoked Haddock and brown bread and butter that was so often being imbibed simultaneously through a separate facial orifice. (Fish in the ear didn't come in till the Douglas Adams era.) I hope everyone on the planet has some similar comforting memory from childhood where food for the belly and the brains work in conjunction. Anyway, Haddock and almost every other white fish has been off the menu for several years now. Hopefully the population is working on a comeback that might arrive in time for my grandchildren, but knowing us lot they are probably being fished to extinction.
So, if you find yourself doubting the disappearance of oil and other fossilized natural resources, as the prices go up and down, remember the parable of the disappearing herring, cod and haddock.