Friday, November 09, 2007

My playground

My playground for the afternoon after finishing some computer work. I made a set of six of these sort of windows for a restaurant back in 1995. They are made from two sheets of glass with stained glass fragments sandwiched in between. I am going to incorporate the two here in the south wall of the roofed area. I had hoped to be able to remove the glass sections, but that proved too much like the proverbial extraction of blood from a stone because I had done such an excellent job of setting them with silicon caulking. So, plan B was to encase the glass along with its wooden frame in the wall. The 1inch plywood I picked up the other week is coming into service again. Once the whole caboodle is up in place I will prepare it for a layer of mortar and rendering so the surround will have a sort of off white plaster look.
The preparation is to staple on tar paper and then wire mesh. I will add some little raised areas to give structure a little more of an organic feel I think. I am looking forward to getting the thing stuck up and I may be able to get Sammy to help me out with that tomorrow before we temporarily unload the truck of all the site based gubbins so that it can be put to service carrying a much needed dose of firewood. I popped into the yard where I needed to borrow some more scaffolding yesterday morning and they had been chopping branches off of Zelkova trees. So those are my target for some savage stick juggling entertainment with the young gentleman once the sun returns to the skies.
I received a mail this morning from someone who looks in on the blog regularly. Each time I hear anything back from this daily activity it makes it seem somewhat more worthwhile and less of an indulgence. So, my thanks to the correspondent in question and of course to anyone else reading these words.