Thursday, November 08, 2007

Test card again

I spent the morning rearranging my informal scaffolding to give unobstructed access to the areas where walls will drop down on the south and east sides (facing SW here). But my afternoon was signed up for volunteer duty at the local primary school where we made some chairs out of the plywood from old table tennis tables that the incoming headmaster had taken a chainsaw to. I needed more than one jigsaw to get things moving a bit faster and had an inspiration on how to mend one of my old ones, which worked for almost the whole session before failing again. It is a Bosch number with a nifty blade grasping device with a wonderful design. The only problem is that they used plastic to execute the design and after a couple of months the thing busted. I had tried mending the thing before with all sorts of improvisations, but this time I had an inspiration involving lock ties, which seemed to work a treat. I'll stick the thing back up again one more time and if it lasts longer than a few hours I'll post the method of repair as there may be more than a few people out there with perfectly good jigsaws sitting on the shelf because of a tiny bit of plastic that has cracked. I don't think the company can have done more than five or ten minutes durability testing on that little widget. Anyway, my early departure from the site meant that there was still daylight so you can see more of the ins and outs in this picture, it kind of makes sense of the drawing back on Monday if you imagine me leaning out over the corner at the top here partially obscured by scaffolding.
The kids have sucked me dry of drawing energy for the moment.