Friday, December 21, 2007

Oranges and lemons

Sammy does a lot better than me at reading the paper. He got straight down to it as soon as he came home while gobbling an orange and a few biscuits in front of the stove. I popped along to collect a truck load of driftwood for the fire today as our store is getting a little low again. I have halted my chainsawing activity while waiting delivery of a Chinese import that may turn out to be a complete lemon, but was cheap enough to make it worth the risk and has a slightly longer bar than the ones that are currently letting me down. I managed to get one of mine working in the mean time by doctoring the end of the throttle cable that had snapped off. I tried a few methods, but in the end a trip to the shops showed me the way when I spotted some crimp on electrical pin terminals, one of which is now doing me a kind service after being bent into a kind of dog leg shape like the original link up. One day I think I will invest in a proper husqvarna chainsaw or something, but it always takes me time to justify these kind of major purchases.
My morning started off with a trip to the school for their end of term assembly, there are three of us councilors and I am always the last to "say a few words" at these things. It gives me a chance to hear what my fellow councilors are thinking about and come up with a couple of points of my own. It is nostalgic to be around kids sometimes, and we sit down the front right next to the first year students, who are tiny. They have one little part where one representative from each class stands up in front to say what they tried hardest at this term and what they aim to try for next time around. It was a little odd as the little un from the first years was probably the most well spoken of the lot and didn't need to read from a paper like some of the others. Isn't it odd how the classes for each year have a different character. There is only one class per year, so far there are no single figure classes, but some are very close to it.