Friday, December 14, 2007

And Wide

I don't come from a long line of plankers, but I am making up for lost time. I slid down another log to lie on the bigger one so that I could work standing up. I had taken off one side from this one while I was waiting for a chap to come and load the logs on to the truck with a big grabber at the stock yard. so I had a flat side to lay it down on. Once I had it with one end on the log it was too heavy for me to slide along, so I hitched it up to a chain block attached to the press as a humble dead weight. I guess I could have stuck a roller under it, but I opted for the cautious approach.
I only took off one plank as I think the log may come in handy as a beam in some future project like the one back in September now that it is down to a more reasonable thickness.
At the back is the shed with our snow tires, plywood, windows, blue sheets, the Fly press and a set of aluminium steps. On the left up top is the guard rail along the road and a load of timber awaiting decisions leaning against the wall. Right is the firewood stack and the post for a little winch arm I use when doing larger aluminium casting pours. Nearer to us the chopping stump with the essential salad oil, a small hand axe and the impact driver for attaching those lengths of 2x4 to the ends of the logs to rest the C girder on. Over on the left I can see my little plastering hod still lying around from the last project.
I found an interesting exercise for the shoulder problem. We bought one of those speed bags for boxers that my son wanted last birthday I think. I had a go on that today when I stuck it back up after spotting that it was deflated. I could feel those little muscle movements pulling things together. I shall try and keep practicing.