Monday, January 21, 2008

Birthday do


Messed up again.
This morning I had a very revealing experience with regard to my character. Perhaps an unbirthday present on the occasion of Sammy's 19th and Martin Luther King Jr day.
I was perusing the BBC news front page as is my wont and spotted the headline about "Metal detector plan for schools". My mind immediately associated metal detectors with archeology and I wondered why the government should be sponsoring some kind of national treasure hunt for the youth of the nation. Perhaps in the vain hope of finding some of the things that they have lost recently.
It was a video news story, so I didn't click on the link as I was listening to the Brother's Faversham on BBC7 and didn't want to lose the thing down the drain of bandwidth. Some ten minutes later I saw the link again and this time I realized what it really meant. Technology has to take the place of mutual human respect in order to ascertain whether weapons are being concealed on entry into the ghetto. I was pleased to be given such delightful proof that I have such a broadly moronic area of innocence left within me. One of those psychology tests where you say the first thing that comes into your mind. Metal detector equals archeology.
The bubbly is for the celebratory pop at mealtime. The cash on the table is laid out in readiness for a mail order present that unfortunately did not make it in time for the day of birth, perhaps tomorrow. The young celebrant is doing some kind of study in the blurry beyond.