Sunday, January 20, 2008

Floor guard

I missed the boat this evening again and my drawing energy has been lost. We are promised snow this evening, so I used up the hours before dark to set the chainsaw on that big lump of wood I couldn't decide on the other day. I didn't think I would have the mental wherewithal to tackle the sawing with snow on the ground. The lump is now a set of small planks and blocks with quite attractive grain and the big plank that it was parked on top of is now free to be worked on again on its way to becoming a piece of furniture.
The puppy mentioned earlier in the week has a schedule for the day (mainly involving mastering the art of meditative sleep), but it can always be set aside if someone is working in the kitchen. He sits and dribbles for a while, but when nothing is to be had he enters carpet mode and defends the entrance to the room. He will not enter the room himself unless bidden to do so and even then he always does it most reluctantly. The bedroom cum living room, which has tatami mats on the floor is also out of bounds for him. The latter taboo is a result of training the former some kind of self imposed rule or a result of reading my wife's mind. He has only entered the tatami room once, during a particularly violent thunderstorm in search of comfort from proximity to his adopted pack. We are not cruel in our discipline, so we kicked him out, but I sat with him in the other room while the storm passed over.
On our walks up the mountain I never bother with a leash. I was pleased to find that he walked to heal and sat properly today when called, even though we were accosted by a roaming pointer set loose by a couple of hunters who had no control at all over their animal.