Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Pipe

Working from the other end today. I picked up a mangled section from the roller bar of some buggy or other at the dam yard about five years ago. I always seem to end up sticking to stainless steel if it crosses my path. Following that trend I also stuck to some tube that came from a big antenna structure. The fat and thin pipes here are those respectively. The towel rack type layout here for a radiator to go behind the stove is about 55x55cm square. I figured that if I put the vertical pipes any closer I would have trouble getting the welder in between the gaps. Actually this is not really a radiator, it is a heat collector, and that seemed to be the first thing to figure out in the water heating plan. The two threaded stubs right at the corner of the bench will be welded onto the ends of the fat pipes to accept a union from something yet to be found, I had fun with the pipe threader making them. The other ends of the top and bottom pipes will be stopped. I need to make some kind of reservoir on top to fill up occasionally. The two J shaped wall like objects on the bench behind are the tubes with fins I mentioned yesterday. One will be fed with a trickle of cold water from the spring next to the house and kept cold, the other will be connected to the stainless tubular towel rack type thing via tubes. The sandwich of Peltier modules will be housed between the two sets of pipes. I am hoping that the Brownian motion developed in the stainless pipes will be sufficient to make some kind of cycle develop in the system, if not I will have to find a hot water pump that runs on a low voltage.
The 3/4 inch iron pipe tuck through the nearer of the fat stainless tubes is there to keep the insertion of the smaller pipes at an even depth so that I can tack weld them in place tomorrow morning with the TIG welder. The good thing about TIG is its ability to do welds on items of different thickness and the fact that it does not heat up the surrounding metal too much. With gas welding the metal is heated over a wider area and it expands, then you end up with cracked welds when the metal contracts again as it cools.
That is the theory, we will see how we do after breakfast tomorrow.