Thursday, January 03, 2008

Welds

Stubbornly continue to write despite having nothing to say.
I like the visual sensation of the two pools of molten metal merging together to form one bead when welding. I saw a lot of it in the two hours between 9am to 11am while I welded up tubes as stated yesterday. This pooling is especially fine with stainless steel. I did need to make a bit of rod to feed the weld at the start. I cut some thin strips off of the edges of a scrap of thin sheet. Once the weld is started it is easy to draw in metal from the two pieces and keep it going. The vague color rainbow around the weld shows how little the heat travels. I only managed to get the bottom row done as we had arranged to go out in the afternoon. I just ran a fine wire brush over the welds to make any pits that might be holes more obvious.
The first two welds of the day were a bit snotty, but the rest look more like this one. I did have a humbling moment when I had to scrabble to get that iron tube out. I forgot to take it out after tacking up, so the welds were a bit more substantial and it had to be twisted and pulled for a minute or two before it would leave its burrow.