Thursday, May 22, 2008

Newton's Kittens

Yesterday my wife took some time off to go and look at kittens with a view to choosing one to keep. Our destiny is apparently entwined with one of these mutts in the picture.
I was writing to a friend yesterday and suddenly remembered I had had my own version of a Newton moment while back in blighty, which kind of connects with the chimp puzzle box and kittens too. What are the chances?
I was in the car with my brother driving out of a nature park. I had to get out to open the gate to let the vehicle through. There was a gated stile for people next to the big gate, so I headed for that having shut the gate behind the car, but the stile was tied shut with string, so I climbed over the fence. When I got back in the car there was a funny atmosphere and my brother said, "Bit of a mental breakdown there". It took me a minute to see what he meant as it had been a complete mental breakdown. I hadn't thought to just go through the car gate and shut it after me because it was a "car gate" and I had seen the human portal off to the side. Then when the stile was crossed off the menu with the tightly knotted string I didn't even consider the car route as an option, so hauled myself over the fence. Amazing.
The Newton intellect also had some type of related spatial dyslexia. In his case there were of course some compensating factors that I can not claim to share.
He had a cat, in order to avoid troubling his vast intellect with the hassle of training it to use the latch on the human portal via a series of strings and pulleys (maybe he tried that, too), he cut a hole in the usual way to allow it private access. At a later date the cat had kittens, so he cut a smaller hole in order that they might also have similar access. Amazing times two.
While I was writing the story yesterday, mistakenly casting dogs in the parts of cat and kittens, it suddenly occurred to me that our Isac probably didn't take a saw to the door himself. He would surely have had a carpenter do it. If he did, the local pub must have been an entertaining spot that evening when the carpenter set about telling the tale with a good deal of embellishment.