Sunday, May 18, 2008

Spoon show

I thought I would put one of the spooners I made in and also brought up the next customer for gouging to keep it company.
This piece has just had a quick going over with the belt sander to put rough lines in, I will use the larger spooner to refine the shapes and put in more definition. The gouge was made from a broken impact driver bit using some fire bricks and a propane torch as a forge before I had contracted up for oxygen and whatnot. Thanks to that success I now have a load of broken driver bits clogging up a drawer as I can no longer throw them away knowing what they might become.
Another useful piece of vice equipment to assist the hands is the leg, keeping one end of the work tucked up and under helped control the little cuts here. The thing about using the gouge is that you need to change position so frequently it becomes more efficient to be able to hold the piece and shift it about than scuttle around a piece held in a vice.
As you can tell, I am wearing my blue stage overalls this week. Just about every other week as well, but twice I have had to change into shorts. The warmer climes are just around the corner.