Saturday, May 17, 2008

Spooning again

Having another go at the same theme of chiseling from yesterday. If I go back and look at the drawn images from when I started out on this blogging exercise I can see some development, which is gratifying. Not so much in terms of capability, but in my ease with the selection of a subject to draw. Even though the first one from back on the 8th of October 2006 was of a similar nature, reviewing an event from the day with myself in it. These days I find that circulation more of an acceptable activity and I am more comfortable taking this interest in my own activities. The themes related to work seem the easiest to visualize and this revisiting today makes me think that I might be justified in exploring them a little further with more attempts.
On a practical note, as I have mentioned before, when you don't have a theme or a proper visualization in mind simply making gestural marks on the paper and responding to them until you begin to see something take shape has worked many times for me. I hadn't realized how well these soft pastel crayons draw over each other. I start with a light color and gradually go darker as I get a clearer impression, but light colors can also be overlayed and that is fun too.