Thursday, August 07, 2008

Double door

A very warm day here. Something made me cling to the sofa instead of getting back down to the sawdust. I think I am beginning to feel the various items emerge from the mental mist, so I have been experimenting with a new version of Artrage in a session of drawing out rough plans.
There do seem to be some new bits and bobs in the software that are advantageous. All in all it is a very good combination with the tablet PC and I recommend it. If you have never tried it and you have some kind of tablet try the free version and see. There are a few sketches in the blog done with it, but I quite like it for making these vague sketches at the proper scale, then I can get a rough idea of timber requirements and even use them to cut things to rough sizes as long as I scribble joint or rebate sizes on as well. I'm still not at the making phase with this door, but this will be something for the client to look at. We had a fairly long discussion of what is wanted, so I hope this comes fairly near the mark. Once we have had a chat about it I will have to order some timber for it.
I am not sure whether it is a priviledge or an inconvenience for anyone not involved, but it is simple for me to put something up here and point the client at it, then we have something to talk about on the phone. The client also gets to see the work in progress on here if they choose to, which might be frustrating at times, but must also give the emerging posession some sense of history.