Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Shelved


Wallowing in timber again today. Shifting things from one pile to another and planing in between. It is probably for the best that most people don't see wood being planed, or everybody would want some. The skin of grubby junk from mellowing out in the seasoning stack gets removed to reveal the internal beauty. I have four projects in my head at the moment, each with different requirements, so it is a bit of a mish mash in there for the moment. I will be popping another shelf sketch for a client in here later. The above is the shelf above my sofa spot, made for home use it is of course in the rough and ready unfinished segment of my work, but suitable to convey the concept. I just had a thought that a wall mounted shelf might also be an option. More floor based solutions are now under discussion.
Another side note
Both my kids have recently mentioned the current depressing trend among the slightly younger generation here in Japan. I think the sector in question is Junior high school and up and mainly boys. The kids play little computer games while they are on the train. They get on together as friends I suppose, ride together saying nothing and then they get off in dribs and drabs without even saying cheerio. So even 5 years or so has made a big difference to youth culture as this would apparently never have happened among my offsp. and their contemporaries. That strange silence while together and not even saying goodbye was what depressed my kids about the behavior pattern.