Saturday, September 27, 2008

Incongruous

I started the day with some much needed chainsaw maintenance ready for some tree cutting and the need for firewood. The cheap chainsaw has no engine problems, but the chain cover, guide bar holder and brake are terrible due to poor plastic, bad design etc. I overcame the problems with bits of welding and longer screws.
Then I devoted the rest of the day to making up a box for the computer parts and fitting the bits in it. The plank the display is sitting on is the lid. The only remaining task is to decide where to put the thing and to cut some suitable air holes to feed it air containing as little dust as possible. I have the display running off of the internal power supply and I will get the speakers plugged in there as well so that I don't need lots of transformers. The free OS is working fine and it actually seems to work better than my laptop at making a cache of radio to give a smooth playback. I tried it on BBC Radio 3 live first and that worked fine.
It does seem somewhat incongruous to have a computer on the bench, but I think it will fit in once it has a proper home. I hope it will make things a bit more homely down there to have live radio choices and I did want to use up those computer parts that were lying around rather than buy something new.
We have a community event tomorrow, but the afternoon should see me tidying up ready to move on with the other table.