Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Scrap

So, I was busy tidying up and found a load of computer bits. Enough to make a computer. No case, but everything else. I laid it all out and connected up, then downloaded the linux operating system called Ubuntu in the form of an ISO file to make a CD and installed it on an abandoned hard disk. The biggest test of the system was the wireless network card. I found a site that gave me nifty instructions on how to get an application off of the CD disk I had made and then use that to grab and use the windows driver for the card off of the CD that came with it. So far all seems pretty easy to understand and it is all free. I will make up some kind of box for the thing and use it as a rather expendable Wifi internet radio down in the workshop. If you have parts you are not using I would recommend giving it a try as long as you have access to the internet on another machine to look up instructions.