Friday, September 12, 2008

Round the bend


We got around the corner of the digging and laid a bit of guttering in our excavation. It is making me happy to know that the shop should no longer get flooded in heavy weather.  The sketch is from where I went out to help as evening fell, working at close quarters to scoop earth down from one leg of the trench on to a board at the corner for sammy to scoop out while standing in the other leg. I think Sammy is secretly hoping for rain to prove the effectiveness of the digging. 
The electrician came around again this afternoon and gave us the date for the visit from the electric company on the 25th. It will be great if that goes smoothly. Even with the same old 20 amps, having a better distribution system makes the whole system seem a lot more stable, so we should soon be even more stable.
I realized today that the 22nd anniversary of my first steps in Japan passed without me noticing on the 7th, never mind. I wonder if the next one will pass so smoothly. That will mark the divide as half of my life so far will have then passed on this side of the planet. 
I got sidetracked in the evening trying to find a way of playing the audio files on my computer on a chronically constipated ipod touch. Winamp remote was the solution. I had been having very little joy with something called orb, which the winamp product is based on. Obviously nothing from Apple as they have done very little to utilize the capabilities their product posesses and their new sofware version, which I foolishly paid to download does nothing much to change that. Microsoft is republican and Apple is Democrat, but they do indead seem to be two right wings of something pretty nasty to do with grabbing all you can.