Thursday, September 27, 2007

Flying giants

One of those days, the computer froze in mid scribble. I was just thinking today would have to be all text and that if I had been drawing on paper then this wouldn't be a problem, when I realized I could just do the same as I do on paper and take a picture.
A couple of days ago on returning home quite late we spotted a marten running up the road. Now today I saw one of the giant flying squirrels out in broad daylight. I don't know where it came from, but it landed low down on our pear tree and then did another hop down to a cedar and then scuttled up that to huddle in the branches all day. It took me a couple of milliseconds to realize what it was, it was like two animals as it's tail was all fluffed up and heavy looking as it chased the body up the pear tree. I have never seen the flight attitude so clearly, having everything spread out as a canopy the animal really did look huge. It took me ages to spot where it was in the tree, hugging into the trunk and staring back at me it was pretending not to be there. I could tell that it was breathing very heavily after its action packed trip. Anyway, I wonder if the two sightings might be related with the giants being harrassed by the martens, or perhaps there was just a family squabble.
The drawing was of the thing pulling up vertical to land on the trunk of the cedar, no great loss.
I think real media player was the cause, I shall stop using it.