Saturday, October 13, 2007

Arch


I used that string technique for elipse drawing to get a curve that would hide all the iron pipe and match the width. Once I had half the elipse drawn out on some pieces on the floor I stuck them up and used the negative cut outs as templates for the other parts. The panorama maker made a jolt in the curve, but it is pretty smooth. I popped a cap of bendy plywood over the edges just after taking this, and when I have sanded the sharp corners off tomorrow I will see about painting it to make the room a bit brighter. It doesn't give much extra wall space, but maybe room for a shelf up near the ceiling. I can also finish off the edge of the ceiling to cover up the edges where glass wool insulation pokes out, which is not too healthy. I may have a "before" picture somewhere, but the room does appear in some past work-in-progress photos. Everything is still in a mess in this room, but each little step is getting things into a more permanent shape. A future step will be to whip out the aluminium windows along the front and replace them with a set of glass double doors and a couple of windows. That will make a higher entry way. More work than it is worth at present, but one day. I am still trying to figure out a place where I can run stairs down from the living area of the house above the shop so that I don't have to walk right around outside the house to get down to work.