Monday, December 10, 2007

More mechanicals

It was a few years ago that I made a little trolley type thing to attach to my chainsaw to aid in cutting planks from logs. It guides the machine along a length of pressed metal C girder with four little casters to run along the edges in the gap of the C. I screw a length of 2x4 across each end of the log with the ends poking out on both sides to rest the girder on, then screw said girder to the 2x4s. I use a spirit level on the two bits of wood when I screw them on to get them in a plane if there is no room to sight along them to do that. As usual I was kneeling on the floor to do the cutting. An added attraction today was having to feed the chain with oil every few minutes as the oil pump was playing up. Today it was Nishin salad oil as I had been given some that was about 2o years past its sell by date and good for little else. That is the can standing on the log. It takes a while to get the cut done and with your lug holes right next to the engine the whole time it is well worth protecting the ears. So, not sporting a galactic princess or soviet gymnast hair do after all.
Ideally I should be able to go right through in one cut, but my chainsaw bar is not long enough so I have to complete the cut as best as possible. It got dark today before I got to do that and see much of the cut surface of the first plank, the saw was getting blunt anyway, so a job for tomorrow. I had spent a while with levers and whatnot moving the log into position and driving up to get the girder back from where I had last used it on some cedar logs up the mountain.
This was the largest of the logs I collected last week with about 55cm diameter of heart wood at the widest. I am hoping it will give a plank large enough for the seat of a kind of couch I have been asked to make.