Thursday, December 06, 2007

Boots

I suppose most people know that Japan is one of those countries where shoes are not worn in the home. In the winter it gets a bit more troublesome as boots and whatnot come out of their burrows. One certainly curses ones forgetfulness a lot more when having to go in and out, I sometimes creep in on my knees if what I have forgotten is just inside the door. Here I am just leaving home and running through what I may have forgotten before the final foot goes home.
I had the school volunteer club thing today melting aluminium scrap and doing some sand casting. As usual not on the ball with taking photos. Some of the kids made stuff that showed a tiny hint of flair and all got something to take home, which was good. At one point just after I arrived I thought the old bath tub heater I use had given up the ghost. I had it to bits and cleaned the oil jets three times before the little sausage would do its job. I had tried it out yesterday, and it worked perfectly, I suppose I ran it just enough to shake all the gunk loose.
It was lucky that I had arrived in good time with an hour and a half to get set up and melting. By the time the kids arrived I had a good three or four liters of metal flopping about in the old gas cylinder I use as a crucible.
Out of time, it is my turn in the bath to ease the fatigue from the frame.