Monday, December 03, 2007

West wing

I had a day of all sorts to go with the variable weather.
I started out with a bit of home handy man work searching out a replacement door knob set for the bathroom. I like it when some little action taken years ago like putting aside an old door knob from some derelict number pays off. The phrase "waste not want not" is so economical in itself that I had passed quite a few summers on the planet before I realized what it meant, I can remember pretending to understand when people used it. I almost never use it myself, but I constantly follow the concept in a practical way.
The vital working bits of the old door knob had just rusted to extinction, the door it had lived out its life in came from the house of a friend that was being demolished. The bathtub and the window from their utilities are now also part of our washhouse, so no doubt they were sad to see their little buddy popped into a bag for recycling. I hope they are not being unfriendly to the item of almost identical ugliness that has taken its place.
Next I was out in the drizzle at the wood yard. Mostly lurking about, but lending a hand as they were shifting the flotsam from the dam up on to trucks and then dumping it alongside other mountains of driftwood. I was lurking about till lunch time so that one of the big diggers with a grabber would be free to grab a couple of large limbs of Zelkova wood I had my eye on. The driver did me a kindness and hoiked those out for me before he broke out the chopsticks. I thought I might have to do the driving, which would have been fun, but probably a more lengthy operation. It is many years since my last go on one of those machines. I will be borrowing a crane to go and pick them up tomorrow.
In the afternoon as the sun was emerging oh so faintly I went to fit a sensor light on the entrance to the cafe. This photo shows how it lights up the window from behind as you pass under the timber portal structure. It also lights up the steps down to the cafe.
This is the view from the north western quarter between the house and the sign looking south east over the little stub of wall with the closed sign on it at the right of yesterday's photo.
I also connected up the spot lights for the sign, but there was nobody home to turn them on, what a shame, I will have to wait for another chance to see what that looks like.
In the real world things like chain link fences are shut out from the mind as the color of the window draws the attention away from them. But the camera soaks up everything with equal clarity and throws it back out as a flat likeness.