Friday, January 04, 2008

Hammering home

Not doing very well with the drawing regimen. A little tribute to the ailing shoulder here. I missed a day on the boxing ball and did a bit of digging to accommodate some of the build up in cess tank and the little chap has started up complaining again. I suppose I have had a fair bit of use out of the limb over the years as exemplified here with a picture my wife found when she was doing some new year tidying up today. About 12 years ago I think. Having the keys in there kind of sums up the work regimen recently, half keyboard and half this kind of malarkey.
This was the first bit of roof framing I ever did on a large scale, linking up with an older section, I made a couple of mistakes along the way, but it turned out OK in the end. The main mistake was a complete bungle with measuring out joint depths, but I realized I had messed it up before we started assembly and remade the whole piece. The other was a trivial thing with one of the posts needing to be cut shorter by an inch or so.

This style of construction isn't used that much anymore. The planks running through the pillars are called Nuki and they hold the pillars plumb by being wedged tight in the mortices. A big earthquake will shake the wedges loose and the posts can sway about a little, but the Nuki will bite in the holes when the building sways too far and so when the shocks are all over you can set about heaving the thing back up plumb again and then repair damaged walls and you are right as rain for the next one.