Thursday, February 14, 2008

Envy

A week of work related purchases. Back at Christmas I spotted a huge chainsaw on a Yahoo auction that I didn't have the guts to bid on. That sold for about 500 pounds and I regretted not buying the thing as soon as the auction ended, so periodically I have been checking out the page in the hope that something similar would turn up. Back on Saturday eve the auction for this great compensatory device ended with me as the final bidder. The bar is about 1060mm long with a bit to spare if I took the guards off. Once I have finished a few projects I will see about extending and beefing up my chainsaw mill to house this sausage with supports at both ends of the bar. I was obviously keen to try the thing out, but I have only checked the engine for its relative vim so far, cutting with this giant will be limited to the milling process I think. The engine started fine and there is a lot of tooth left on the chain, for something made back in the seventies it has not seen much use. It is huge next to the saw I bought for normal use with a 45~47cm bar.
The dust helmet arrived today also, so I shall have a go with that tomorrow and see how dust free I am at the end of it.