Saturday, August 16, 2008

Spur


The sofa was my home for most of the day as work took over. I will be back in the shop on Monday I think. I just popped down there today as I needed to fetch my ear protectors to put on over the little earphones to help me concentrate on the transcription work at hand.
I will pop a picture of the work scene in later. I fixed the morticer on the edge of the bench using the little spur that projects from it. I have often blessed the day that I decided not to chop that off and it proved its worth again. This arrangement allows me to clamp the planks I am jointing into the machine with the end grain facing up, I can then cut two mortices leaving an island of material in the middle to stop the wood collapsing under the pressure from the work clamp. I think I will glue my floating tenon into this first and clean it up, then glue up the joint proper once the remaining parts are ready.