Thursday, August 14, 2008

One way

Back to evening storms here in Japan. This was the view from outside the workbench bit of the shop this evening. I don't seem to be very bothered by insects this year. Almost every available orifice in the shop is stuffed with moss as those hole loving wasps do their stuff, but mosquitoes are not so prevalent. There were quite a few anesthetized spiders lying about today. The wasps that specialize in spider capture must have gotten a bit slippery fingered or they abandoned the prey as too small for its purpose. I don't suppose that the spiders spring back to life after a few hours unconscious, but you never know.
The planks laid on the bench are to be the framework for table tops. There are actually two sets, one on top of the other. Next job for them is to cut mortices and fit loose tenons, then I can cut the frames to a more curvy shape and cut planks to fit in the interior once I have decided which those will be.
I'll take a picture the other way tomorrow as I am promised a day on the sofa with translation related work to do and that will probably numb my brain a little.
I just had a little look at Google Street View in Tokyo, New york and Alice springs with my daughter. If you take a look at Google maps it is quite interesting to see how much work they have done on putting all that together. I can't get it to show up properly on my machine, but it worked fine on the desktop computator now free from viral infections. You can walk down the streets and see a 360 degree panorama every few meters in the areas covered.