Friday, August 10, 2007

Handled

Having resolved to work on the shelves, I immediately changed my mind this morning and did the handles instead.
I managed to get a fairly early start on things today and it was a mistake to have left the blacksmithing book in the smallest reading room, it pushed the brain box in the metalwork direction. I spent the morning at the press and then moved downstairs for a bit of refining with the hammer and twisting about in the vice after that. There is still some final tweaking to do and the handles must be welded to the plates, but getting them in some kind of shape was the last challenge for the door. I should be able to get all the fiddly jobs done on them, fitting the thumb latches and the above mentioned tweaking tomorrow all being well, then I can clear the bench again to cut the mortices for the locks and drill all the holes in all the right places for all the bits and bobs. Then no doubt I will have to take them all off again when I transport the door as it will be too heavy for me to manage alone.