Saturday, August 11, 2007

Tweaked


The tweaking is done, but the welding was becoming sad as the light began to attract more and more of the evening insect hoard to succumb to the light and heat of the electron plasma. Mainly little green flying things that have a habit of nipping at ones skin for no apparent reason and one horsefly, so no great loss to the world of beauty. Anyway, it was only a matter of time before something more dramatic got caught up in the trauma, so I left it for tomorrow when they will all be sleeping off their night of fun and games and the sun will shine bright enough to make my little spark insignificant for their daytime counterparts..
The side resting on the vice has holes drilled and countersunk to accept bolts with allen wrench heads. The side in the foreground has 20mm long nuts welded onto the back in position to accept the ends of the bolts passed through appropriately sized holes drilled in the door. Other gubbins on the bench, the auto darkening helmet, WD40 for almost everything, blue pen case with bits and bobs for the TIG torch and sharpened electrodes waiting to be used in turn. I have the little pivot pin mechanism for the thumb latches welded on, but I have to drill the latch levers and cut them to length tomorrow. I have a little box jig to test the fit of the plates with the lock body inside, that allows me to trim the latch parts so that they don't interfere with each other inside the door when they are fitted. I had to make that up for the first door I made with a thumb latch to figure out how all the parts would work together and it still comes in handy to remind me of how to do the mortices for the lock bodies.