Friday, February 15, 2008

Bed time

Tired out today.
Yesterday Sammy and I had the crane up together on the truck to go and fetch the aluminium furnace from the local school where I had left it since the session of casting we did there back in the autumn. That and the boxes of casting sand filled up the truck.
Today we went on two trips to the driftwood yard to fill up with firewood and on the second trip I gave that monster saw a quick go on a cedar log, it is a totally different beast to anything I have used before and very impressive. I will try and discipline myself to give it a proper overhaul before I do any serious cutting with it.
This evening I had another of those school councilor meetings. My sense is that the "Nothing new under the sun" mood is hitting kids of elementary school age. I think that kind of sullenness should only come around later. I feel that children of 6-12 should be exposed to as many different influences as possible. There is far too much in the world that is fascinating to allow us to skip straight to paraphrasing Solomon and taking it the wrong way. Kids need to see real people who enjoy the things they do, especially if those people have gained no celebrity. Due to the all pervasive media there is a sense that celebrity is an aim in life lending validity to the actions of the celebrated. Perhaps You tube and whatnot will reverse that a little. Rambling I guess as I am ready for beddy byes, but I still believe that there is a cycle which starts with small things and governs the course of our lives. We all find some things easier to do than others, we get pleasure from our ability to pursue that course. We repeat these activities, the repetition lends us greater ability and the cycle continues to roll us along. The tragedy is never to find even the smallest spark to start us on our way and always think that just because someone somewhere at some time in the past has done the thing we are attempting it becomes less valid and less meaningful for us to enjoy that experience.
Nighty night