Sammy had a day off college today, so we ordered in a half cubic meter of concrete to get those shop wall foundations in. About half an hour before the truck was due the company rang up to say that they had leftovers of just the amount I had ordered, so please could I take that instead. It was a beautiful sunny day and this gave it an added sparkle.
There is always a bit of a jip in my tummy when concrete is on the schedule. I think this stems from a childhood experience involving an underground room rapidly filling with concrete coming through a little window at street level. All very fine for laying a floor, but when the floor was laid and the flow kept flowing I think panic set in.
So far our worst experience was with a tiny patch that I wasn't quite ready for. The chute failed when the first wave hit a joint and baulked at the fence as it were. The weight build up made the chute buckle and we had to call a halt for a few minutes while repairs were made.
I was on hand today to push the build up along its way at the joints and once the first wave has gone down the chute the rest follows along quite happily.
I think Sammy was a bit daunted down at the bottom as he assumed the first wave was going to be the rate of flow for the whole session. Anyway, we were kept very busy ferrying buckets of gloop into the shuttering for a few minutes. We had just enough left over to fill our stretch of foundation ditch too.
I ended the day fitting threaded inserts into the table top to attach the base and top.